NEW BENTLEY CONTINENTAL SUPERSPORTS CONVERTIBLE
FlexFuel technology now standard across Continental model range
* The Continental Supersports Convertible is the fastest, most potent drop-top Bentley ever built – 0-60mph in just 3.9 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.2 seconds) and a top speed of 202mph (325km/h). It is also the fastest four-seat convertible in the world.
* The Supersports is the extreme Bentley convertible, offering a highly focussed, pure Bentley driving experience.
* Muscular styling reflects the Supersports Convertible’s supercar personality with the practicality and elegance of four-seat accommodation.
* The standardisation of pioneering FlexFuel technology across the 2011 Continental model range reaffirms Bentley’s on-going environmental commitment to make all its cars biofuel‑compatible by 2012.
(Crewe, England. 17 February 2010) The Continental Supersports Convertible further strengthens Bentley’s supercar range, following the introduction of the Continental Supersports Coupé in 2009. The new Supersports Convertible, with the same 630PS (621bhp/463kW) twin-turbocharged W12 engine, is the fastest, most potent drop‑top Bentley has ever built, offering the ultimate Bentley driving experience in the world’s most dramatic convertible.
The inspiration for the ‘Supersports’ name is the 1925 Bentley Supersports, a race-bred version of the iconic Bentley 3-litre, that delivered 85bhp when more ordinary cars were equipped with a modest 15bhp. It was also the first production car to reach 100mph – extreme performance in its day.
The new, muscular four-seat Supersports Convertible is unmistakably Bentley in its design and craftsmanship but its interior signifies a dramatic re-interpretation of Bentley luxury. Satin-finished carbon fibre, Alcantara™and ‘Soft Grip’ leather create a unique ambience with a distinctly sporting and contemporary style.
All models in the Continental model range, including the new Supersports Convertible are now capable of running on both petrol (gasoline) and E85 bioethanol or any combination of the two, reaffirming Bentley’s ongoing commitment to make all its cars bio-fuel compatible by 2012. Pioneered by the Supersports Coupe, this FlexFuel technology offers a reduction of up to 70 per cent in CO2 emissions on a ‘well-to-wheel’ basis, a measure of a fuel’s net contribution to the atmosphere, not just tailpipe emissions.
To ensure seamless power delivery, the on-board fuel supply system detects the blending ratio of the fuel in the tank and ensures that power and torque remain constant regardless of the ratio of petrol to biofuel.
Bentley Chairman and Chief Executive Dr Franz-Josef Paefgen welcomes the new addition to the Bentley range, as well as the standardisation of the FlexFuel W12 engine on all 2011 Continental models:
“The new Supersports Convertible blends thrilling performance and dramatic styling with luxury and practicality in the Bentley open-top tradition. Extreme power combines with pioneering FlexFuel technology, now shared with all Continental models, reflecting Bentley’s ongoing commitment to more environmental motoring.”
THE NEW CONTINENTAL SUPERSPORTS – AT A GLANCE
The fastest, most potent drop-top Bentley ever
* 6-litre W12 engine twin-turbocharged engine produces 630PS (621bhp/463kW) at 6000 rev/min and 800Nm (590lb ft) of torque at 2000-4500 rev/min
* 0 – 60mph in 3.9 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.2 seconds)
* 0 -100mph in 9.6 seconds (0-160km/h in 9.5 seconds)
* Top speed of 202mph (325km/h)
* Overall weight saving of 90kg (198lb) versus GTC Speed
A highly focussed, extreme Bentley convertible driving experience
* Revised ZF 6HP26 transmission with ‘Quickshift’ system that cuts shift times by 50% and enables double downshifts
* New 40/60 rear-biased torque split for the all-wheel drive system reduces understeer when powering out of bends and provides for better modulation of line and attitude by ‘throttle steering’
* Retuned Continuous Damping Control (CDC) system, stiffer suspension bushes and uprated rear anti-roll bar benefit body control, steering response, turn-in and balance
* Increased 50mm rear track improves grip and stability
* Lightweight, 20-inch, 10-spoke alloy wheels offer 10kg (22lb) weight saving per car, reducing unsprung and rotating mass and improving brake cooling
* 275/35 ZR20 Pirelli Ultra High Performance tyres
* Advanced ESP system fully exploits potential of the most powerful W12 engine and improved chassis
* Standard-fit carbon-ceramic brakes provide fade-free braking and contribute a 20kg (44lb) reduction in rotating and unsprung mass from the front axle.
Muscular yet elegant styling with four-seat practicality
* Form follows function: distinctive centre air intake and vertical grilles feed larger volume of air (+ 10%) to turbocharger intercoolers while bonnet vents extract hot air from engine bay
* Subtly curved rear wheel arches with newly tooled side panels accommodate increased rear track of the uprated chassis and provide muscular stance
* Distinctive ‘smoked steel finish’ to all exterior ‘brightware’, including the first automotive application of ‘Physical Vapour Deposition’ to stainless steel
* Larger, twin elliptical exhaust tailpipes and rear valance with discreet vertical divider
* Fixed rear bootlid spoiler for improved aerodynamics
* Unique driver-focused, four-seat cabin
* Lightweight, carbon fibre, front sports seats, saving 45kg (99lb) per car
* Alcantara™, carbon fibre and ‘Soft Grip’ leather provide a new interpretation of Bentley craftsmanship
The standardisation of FlexFuel capability across the 2011 Continental model range reaffirms Bentley’s on-going environmental commitment
* FlexFuel available on all 2011 Continental models, including the new Supersports Convertible, from June 2010 (all markets)
* All Continental models, are now capable of running on petrol and E85 biofuel or any combination of the two
* Power and torque remain constant whatever the ratio of petrol to E85 biofuel
* A Fuel Quality Sensor detects the blending ratio of the fuel in real time sending a signal to the engine control unit (ECU), initiating the correct engine mapping. This ensures all performance parameters remain balanced and consistent
* Offers a reduction in CO2 emissions of up to 70% (well-to-wheel), a measure of a fuel’s net contribution to the atmosphere, not just tailpipe emissions
Enhanced choice for all Continental model range customers
* The full 2011 Continental range gets a host of new exterior and interior specification changes
* Six new colours are added to the Bentley palette (Citric, White Satin, Kingfisher, Magenta, Orange Flame and St James Red Pearl)
* Dark Grey Metallic Hood that is available on all Continental convertible including the new Supersports Convertible
* Automatic opening and closing Powerboot is included as standard on the new Continental Flying Spur and GTC models (not Supersports versions)
* A new cost option Premium Pack for the Flying Spur includes veneered picnic tables with vanity mirrors, a Mulliner alloy fuel filler cap and chrome inlay strips to the door waistrails
* Convenience Packs are available for all Continental models and include features such as Adaptive Cruise Control with ‘Follow to Stop’ feature, an iPod™interface, front seat massage function, telephone handsets, rear-view camera and Valet key